Cabernet Sauvignon is one of the most recognized grape varieties in the world. It’s loved for its age-worthiness and bold flavors. In this blog post, we’re going to uncover 10 facts that every wine lover should know about.
1. Originating from France, it’s a natural cross between Cabernet Franc and Sauvignon Blanc. In the Bordeaux region, it is often used in red blends with Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Petit Verdot and sometimes Malbec.
2. Many unique blends have emerged with this grape variety. In Australia, it’s blended with Shiraz. Super Tuscan (a term used to describe red wines using non-indigenous grapes from Tuscany) blend involves Cabernet Franc, Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah and Merlot.
3. The word Sauvignon is derived from an old French dialect word sauvage meaning “wild”
4. This thick-skinned grape variety is grown in all the major wine-producing regions such as Australia, New Zealand, Chile, and Canada. It became the most widely planted red grape variety and surpassed Merlot in the 1990s
5. This grape variety can even thrive in deserts. It is planted in the Gobi desert, encouraging the wine market in China.
6. Having an aging potential of 10-13 years, the taste improves when cellared. There is a possibility that it can be cellared for decades.
7. Ranking as one of the most beloved wines, Cabernet Sauvignon Day is celebrated on August 30.
8. The six-litre Screaming Eagle Cabernet Sauvignon 1992 bottle was sold for $500,000 at a Napa Valley charity auction in 2000. It holds the title for being the most expensive wine bottle that was ever sold in the world.
9. Bell pepper is the most noted aroma & flavour found in Cabernet Sauvignon. This characteristic is derived from Pyrazine—an aromatic organic compound present in the grape variety. This compound also adds savoury aromas of green peppercorn, black pepper or sage. Therefore, it is known as vegetal wine.
10. It is considered that Cab Sav is a half-sibling of Merlot and this is why many sommeliers around the world are not able to differentiate between the two when blind tasting.
That was all on 10 facts about Cabernet Sauvignon that you should know. This rich and bold wine with high tannin will go perfectly with hearty dishes. Happy drinking!