Wine, Food & Drink Q&A

Submit Your Question View More Questions

What Is The Name Of The Wine Pourer I Saw?

Hi All, I was at a fancy resturant a while ago and when we ordered a bottle of vintage wine the manager brought out a pourer. It held the bottle and had a crank that poured the wine as you cranked. It also had the candle under the neck of the bottle. I am pretty sure it was an antique. I would like to look for one but I have no idea what they are called. Thanks!
Answer From Expert Roger Bohmrich MW

The device you saw is a decanting cradle. While it looked like an antique, it is probably the reproduction which the Wine Enthusiast is selling for $325 (item 434-29-07).

The idea of using something like this does make sense, but you can also find a simple, much less expensive basket which also "cradles" the bottle in a semi-horizontal position. This allows you to pour any wine easily, and helps particularly with older wines that have sediment.

About Our Expert

Roger has enjoyed a lengthy career in the wine trade as an importer and retailer, and at present he is an educator, speaker and consultant. He set up and managed Millesima USA, a New York merchant affiliated with a leading European company. Previously, he served as senior executive of importers Frederick Wildman & Sons. In recent years, Roger has judged wine competitions in Argentina, Turkey, Portugal, China and the U.S. Roger is one of America's first Masters of Wine.

Visit Roger Bohmrich MW's web site