Online Class Premier Host
We are proud to offer the Italian Wine Scholar-Prep in a virtual classroom setting, with Florida Wine Academy team of educators.
– Class will meet on Wednesdays, beginning on March 17th from 6pm to 8.30pm to March 31st, 2021 (3 sessions)
– Course delivery will be live, via Webinar, and students will still have the chance to ask questions and receive answers in real time
– You will need access to a reliable internet connection on a PC or Mac. The software connection will be provided by us via Zoom, and students will receive a dedicated webinar passcode that will enable them to join the private session
– A guided tasting tutorial will still be given. Students will have the opportunity to purchase the recommended tasting samples from our shop 305wines.com. Purchase of the wines is not a requirement for participating, although extremely helpful
IWS Prep is designed to address the needs of the inquisitive wine enthusiast and aspiring wine professional alike. As a foundation course, IWS Prep remains accessible but is content-rich and full of cultural highlights that are as engaging as they are entertaining.
The course provides an introduction to Italy, explores its key wine regions and delivers core information on 39 of the country’s need-to-know wines.
IWS Prep is your passport to understanding Italian wine. It also acts as a stepping-stone to the internationally acclaimed Italian Wine Scholar certification program.
Our sessions will include online instruction with tutored tasting taught by approved instructors, plus:
Who is this program for?
• Inquisitive wine enthusiasts wanting to become more familiar with the intricacies of Italian wine
• Aspiring wine professionals
• Hospitality professionals new to the world of Italian wine
• Anyone wishing to become more knowledgeable about Italy, and its wine and food culture
Italy is home to over 400 DOCs and DOCGs; IWS Prep introduces you to 39 of the most well-known appellations. Thirty-two primary appellations are covered in significant detail, with seven “Detour” appellations included to round out the curriculum. Grape varieties, wine profiles and labelling terms are all explored. Each wine is presented within a regional and cultural context. Local landmarks and traditional cuisines are also highlighted.
In addition to classroom instruction or live review webinars, your instructors recommend that you engage in an additional 15 hours of study (approximately five hours per chapter) before sitting the exam. You are encouraged to expand your studying techniques beyond that of simply re-reading the course book. In order to assimilate knowledge and facilitate deeper understanding of key concepts try to engage in active learning techniques such as: note-taking, completing the online e-learning modules, explaining key concepts to others, filling in blank maps, flashcards and of course tasting!
Enrollment in this engaging and informative course includes an optional exam sit. The optional exam is comprised of 50 multiple-choice questions and must be completed in 45 minutes, passing score is 60%. Passing students will be awarded the IWS Prep Certificate. Those enrolled at one of WSG’s Approved Program Providers will be offered the opportunity to sit the exam at their school. Distance-learning students will be offered an individually proctored, online exam.
You must be at least 21 years of age to attend the course and to participate in any alcohol tasting.
Sign up now!
The course instructor is Nicole Ramos, WSET L3, FWS, SWS, and Celeste Bailey, WSET L3, FWS. You can learn more about our team here.