This 10-class course will be held at the brand new Echelon Wine Bar in Leesburg, Virginia. Echelon is the creation of Lost Creek Winery owners Todd and Aimee Henkle.
The aim of the course is to provide detailed analysis of the principal wines of the world. Students will also benefit from in-depth tastings where they will learn to identify product style and quality. Emphasis is given to tasting assessment skills. Course content includes the following:
Unit 1 – Wines of the World
- Production of Wine (location, viticulture, vinification, maturation, and bottling)
- France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Central and South Eastern Europe, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, North America, South and Central America
- Still Wines
- Sparkling Wines
- Fortified (Liqueur) Wines
- This unit is evaluated by a multiple choice paper of 50 questions and a question paper requiring short written answers
Unit 2 – Tasting and Evaluating Wines of the World
- How to taste wines and evaluate the quality, style and price
- Students will learn to write tasting notes by tasting and assessing 8-10 wines during each class.
- This unit is assessed by a blind tasting paper of two wines
The exam consists of a multiple choice paper of 50 questions, a question paper requiring short written answers, and full written tasting notes on two wines. Those who pass the exam receive the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines, an internationally recognized credential in the wine industry.
The course fee includes 10 classes taught by a WSET certified instructor, the WSET Level 3 study guide, all wines tasted during the course, and the exam at Echelon Wine Bar.
Note: This qualification is open to students who hold the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines & Spirits or can demonstrate the equivalent level of knowledge. It is recommended that students complete the Level 2 Award in Wines or in Wines & Spirits before progressing to the Level 3 Award. This qualification is a prerequisite for candidates planning to study for the WSET Level 4 Diploma in Wines qualification. A student must pass the WSET Level 3 exam before registering for the Diploma program.
*Students who register more than 10 days before the first class meeting will receive their study guide at the first class. — STUDENTS WHO REGISTER WITHIN 10 DAYS OF THE FIRST CLASS DATE MAY NOT RECEIVE THEIR STUDY GUIDE UNTIL THE SECOND CLASS MEETING.*