If you love food and wine, this trip is for you. We’ve set up a small group with Ponant, one of our favorite expedition cruise companies, for a trip around the island of Sicily.
June 26- July 6, 2019.
Here are some of the highlights of this trip:
- Mary Taylor Simeti, American author and one of the foremost authorities on Sicilian food, will accompany us on this voyage that circumnavigates Sicily with an exploration of the richly textured Italian approach to food and dining.
- A native expert will lead an on board wine tasting and educational session about local vintages, inspired by Wine Spectator’s Online Wine School curriculum.
- You’ll have an extraordinary opportunity both to study and to experience the various roles food and wine play in our lives and its relation to physical, mental, and spiritual well-being. Immerse yourself in the bounty of the largest island in the Mediterranean through its eclectic cuisine—with Greek, Spanish, French, and Arabic influences—as we sample the arancini of Agrigento, discover the famous street food of Palermo, and experience the pasta and sardines and eggplant of the eastern region.
- In addition to these culinary-tailored activities, we will see the temples of the ancient Greeks at Agrigento, Segesta, Taormina and Syracuse.
- We will discover Sicily’s inviting medieval towns, including Monreale and Palermo.
- And we begin and end in Malta, itself another crossroads of cultures, where we will encounter the prehistoric temples of Gozo as well as the great monuments of Valletta.
If you want to learn more, please visit the event website and download the full itinerary.