Online Class Premier Host
3 Live Webinars: Sundays, January 31, February 14 and February 21, beginning at 4PM
Optional in-person socially distanced exam: Sunday, March 7, time TBD. Students will be assigned different time slots to ensure social distancing.
Instructor: Monica Marin, DipWSET, FWS, IWS, SWS – named Wine Scholar Guild FWS Instructor of the year 2019 and nominated as best WSET Educator 2019.
THIS COURSE IS YOUR FOUNDATION FOR THE WORLD OF ITALIAN WINE
This is a new program from the internationally acclaimed wine school, Wine Scholar Guild (home of the French Wine Scholar and Spanish Wine Scholar courses). Our first offering of this course in the fall sold out and we are excited to offer it again!
Learn about all the key wines from Italy in 8 hours of webinars with The Wine House’s acclaimed instructor, Monica Marin. IWS Prep is designed to address the needs of the inquisitive wine enthusiast and aspiring wine professional alike. As a foundation course, IWS Prep remains accessible but is content-rich and full of cultural highlights that are as engaging as they are entertaining.
The program provides an introduction to Italy and its wine regions in addition to core information on 39 of Italy’s best-known regional denominations. This is a passport to Italian wine and a stepping-stone to the internationally acclaimed Italian Wine Scholar, a professional certification advanced program on the wines of Italy.
Coursebook and instructor alike will guide you on a wine-focused journey through Italy, learning about legendary wines, foods, landmarks and cultural attractions as you “travel.” The program has been divided into three sections, each featuring a geographical area of Italy: the wines of Northern Italy, the wines of Central Italy and the wines of Southern Italy. Within each section, a tantalizing palette of wines are showcased.
· 8 hours of live review webinars (3 webinars, between 2 and 3.5 hours each) led by Monica Marin. Webinars are recorded in case students are unable to attend live.
· Beautifully designed 125-page, landscape format coursebook The Wines of Italy: Glass by Glass.
· Access to high-quality e-learning activities designed to enrich the coursebook and support different learning styles; these activities include interactive e-learning modules with additional cultural highlights and quizzes – course registration includes online access for 1 year
· Optional in-person exam on March 7 for one person (webinars can be attended by family or a tasting group at home). The optional exam includes 50 multiple choice questions and passing students will be awarded the IWS Prep Certificate (60% correct to pass).
· A list of recommended wines to sample on your own or in a group when you attend the webinars. Recommended wines will be listed on our website after registration.
Wines are not included in the price of this course; however, if you wish to organize a tasting group for the course to follow the webinars, we will be offering a 10% discount on the 24 recommended wines that will be highlighted in the live webinars (12 wines from Northern Italy and 12 wines from Central & Southern Italy). Students who enroll in the course will be given instructions for purchasing the recommended wines. Discount will apply to any 12 or more individual wines purchased for this course.