Selling Wine To NY Distributors

We own a vineyard in California and want to sell wines to distributors in New York. What license do we need to sell and ship the wines from CA to NY distributors. Thanks! Toby

Answer From Expert Roger Bohmrich MW

To my knowledge, you do not need licensing other than the Basic Permit you already possess as a registered winery in order to sell wine to a New York distributor. Some states do require registration of some sort, but I cannot find anything to this effect on the official NY website ( There is, on the other hand, a registration process for an entity located in another state intending on shipping to New York consumers. A Direct Shipper's License is required for an out-of-state wine manufacturer for this purpose. To be sure, you could telephone the State Liquor Authority (518 474 3114) or ask another winery who ships to New York distributors.

About The Expert

Roger has enjoyed a lengthy career in the wine trade as an importer and retailer, and at present he is an educator, speaker and consultant. He set up and managed Millesima USA, a New York merchant affiliated with a leading European company. Previously, he served as senior executive of importers Frederick Wildman & Sons. In recent years, Roger has judged wine competitions in Argentina, Turkey and China. Roger became one of America's first Masters of Wine in 1993.

Visit Roger Bohmrich MW's web site