An introduction to wine suitable for those pursuing an interest in wine.
- Consumers looking for an introduction to wine.
- Groups looking for a fun interactive class with an introduction to wine
- No previous study requirements. WSET Level 1 Award in Wines is NOT a prerequisite to taking the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits. In fact we encourage those looking for a serious wine class to start with WSET Level 2 Award in Wines.
- At least 21 years of age.
- The key stages in grape growing and winemaking
- The characteristics of common wine grapes
- The main types and styles of wine
- How to store and serve wine
- The principles of food and wine pairing
- How to taste wine using the WSET Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine (SAT)
- Successful candidates receive the WSET Level 1 Award in Wines certificate and lapel pin.
Learn about wines through our 4-week WSET Level 1 Online study program that is flexible to work around your busy schedule. The WSET Level 1 Online course covers the same syllabus as the classroom course, but through a supported and interactive online classroom which allows you to study alongside your peers under the guidance of a dedicated educator. This is a four-week, instructor led online course with fixed start and end dates.
The course follows a weekly structure, but it allows the student to work ahead or catch up on activities and forums. There are no set times to log into the course as there are no live chats or webinars.
Each week consists of a series of online activities, often based on group discussion, with an online tutor allocated to guide you in your studies. A timed feedback test is provided at the end of each week for you to practice for the exam and assess your understanding of that week’s topics. Group tasting activities are also provided to familiarize you with the Systematic Approach to Tasting at the beginner level.
Online Class includes:
- 4-week guided study (1 year course access)
- WSET Level 1 Wine exam - 30 multiple choice questions. Exam must be scheduled and taken in person at our Providence, RI location.