Weekly classes run Mondays, from 6-9pm Oct 23 through Dec 18. Single classes may be taken individually in the series. See event site for details.
The goal of the Italian Wine Professional 10-week program is to provide a solid foundation in the wines of Italy to professionals and enthusiasts who are passionate about Italian wine. Students will receive 27 hours of in depth instruction covering the following areas:
- Italy’s geography, history, and climate
- Italy’s major grape varieties and their main growing regions
- Italian wine labeling conventions and how they fit into EU law
- Locations and wine styles of Italy’s most important denominations that are widely available in the U.S.
In addition, students will be exposed to:
- Latest ideas on Italian wine & food pairing
- Strategies for presenting and selling Italian wines to restaurant and retail establishments
- Approaches for creating compelling wine lists that showcase Italian wine
- Basic pronunciation of Italian words and key terms
Each instructional unit will feature a presentation of the key material, which will be supported in class by interactive exercises with group discussion, sharing of tasting impressions, and ideas about food pairing. Wine maps will be a key learning component. Sessions will feature a tasting of a number of exemplary wine styles.
Must be 21 to attend.