The Capital Wine School is the premiere school for wine education in the Washington, DC metro area. Courses are offered for beginners and professionals. The school is owned and operated by Jay Youmans MW.
Jay is an Advanced Level Sommelier (Court of Master Sommeliers), a Certified Wine Educator (CWE), a Certified Burgundy Wine Educator, and a Master of Wine. He has judged wine at the Star Wine Competition, the California State Fair, and the Dallas Morning News Wine Competition. He has been the competition director for the Virginia Governor's Cup Wine Competition since 2012. He was a contributing author to The Business of Wine, published by Greenwood Press (2009).
The Capital Wine School offers many types of classes
- Introduction Classes on Wine and Tasting
- Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET) courses and exams: Levels 1 - 4, including Diploma
- Wine Scholar Guild (WSG) courses and exams: French Wine Scholar (FWS) & Italian Wine Scholar (IWS)
- Exam Prep Classes for the CSW, CSS, & CWE exams (Society of Wine Educators)
- Essential Blind Tasting Skills
- Focus Tastings on the wine regions of the world
- and more!