Our Saturday Introduction to Wine tasting course is a great way to spend the day - learning about wine in a fun and informal environment. We will go through how to taste wine like a pro, discuss what makes a good quality wine and go through some basic guides to food and wine matching. We will taste 12 wines throughout the day, starting with Champagne, followed by whites and reds, hopefully, some of which you have not tried before.
All this plus a sumptuous two course lunch at the multi-award winning Colonel Fawcett pub, just a short walk away. Here they curate a carefully sourced, seasonal British menu, they hold an extensive Gin range (over 60 varieties) and an ever-growing craft beer and ale selection.
In just over three years they have gained some prestigious awards and reviews including:
- The Observer Food Monthly Best Sunday Roast 2014
- The Evening Standard Top Three Sunday Roasts in London
- The Kentishtowner Runner Up Best Lunch
- The King Of Camden
The day runs from 11am to 4pm - starting with a decadent Champagne aperitif!
- Introduction to the major wine regions of the world
- Glass of Champagne on arrival
- Two-course lunch at the Colonel Fawcett pub - just a short walk from the Irish Centre
- Tutored tasting of 12 wines
- New World wine vs Old World classics
- Major red grape varieties: Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir and others
- Major white grape varieties: Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Riesling and more
- How wine is made: grapes, fermenting, ageing
- How to taste wines like a professional: aromas, flavours, describing wines
- Recognising elements of wine: tannin, acidity, oak
- The effect of climate on the taste of wine
- Which wines to buy, where to obtain the best value for money, storing and serving wine and understanding wine labels
- Food and wine matching tips and advice