The International Wine & Spirits Guild provides a unique approach to teaching our students about wine.
Tell us your wine education/career objectives and let us create a custom course package designed to help you reach your goals faster. Our approach is personalized, professional, and unparalleled in the wine and spirits industry.
We were voted one of the "Top 5 Wine Schools" in the nation by Food & Wine Magazine as well as The Wall Street Journal.
Fundamentals for Professionals – Components:
Fundamentals for Professionals classes are one-day short courses for those who would like a one-day basic introduction to wine components (vision, smell, taste).
This particular Fundamentals for Professionals short-course is also often taken by people who have completed Level I and want additional technical wine evaluation practice before starting the Level II course.
This short-course presents an overview of basic wine evaluation concepts through a series of lectures, wine evaluation exercises and actual wine evaluation. It is not a course for certification; there is not an exam.
In this one-day short course you will:
- Learn basic wine evaluation techniques
- Learn wine visual evaluation
- Learn about wine smell evaluation via a smell exercise of the 30 most common smells in wine
- Learn about wine taste evaluation via a taste exercise to learn how to distinguish tannins, acids, sugars and alcohol in wine
- Taste at least 8 wines
- Receive 30 pages of handout material
Lunch is provided as part of your tuition. If you have any dietary restrictions please contact the Guild with that information.