Presented by Pete Carlson, District Manager
The Matchbook Wine Company is owned by the Giguiere Family and is tucked away in Northern California's Dunnigan Hills. The family immigrated to Yolo County from Quebec City in the 1850’s and brother-owners, John and Karl Giguiere, are 5th generation farmers.
Thirty-five years ago the California wine world offered two simple choices, high-end wines from Napa/Sonoma and cheap, jugs from the Central Valley. The Giguiere family vineyards are smack in the middle of the two growing regions, so they decided to combine the boutique winemaking techniques of their neighbors to the west with the economics of the valley to the east. Matchbook vintners are real farmers, use real barrels, practice hands-on winemaking and have a crazy passion for innovation. They grow 1500 acres of grapes– chardonnay, cabernet sauvignon, syrah, petite sirah – and some that are little bit of a surprise – tempranillo, graciano, tannat and verdejo. Their white wines are 100% varietal, while their red wines are blended to create boldness and complexity!
Today, Matchbook Wine Company produces 110,000 cases and 15 unique wines from the Dunnigan Hills and other select growing regions. They are known for excellent wines at excellent prices! Join us as Pete Carlson, District Manager, tells us the Matchbook Winery story and we taste their delicious wines!
We will be tasting:
- Mossback Russian River Valley Chardonnay – 94 Points/Gold North Coast Wine Challenge
- Mossback Russian River Valley Pinot Noir – 93 Points from Tastings.com
- Mossback Chalk Hill Cabernet Sauvignon – 90 Points and Best Buy from Wine and Spirits
- Arsonist Red Blend – 91 Points and Editor’s Choice from Wine Enthusiast
- Arsonist Chardonnay - 91 Points and Editor’s Choice from Wine Enthusiast
- Chasing Venus New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc – 93 Points from Tastings.com
- Matchbook Estate Chardonnay - 89 Points and Editor’s Choice from Wine Enthusiast
- Matchbook Estate Cabernet Sauvignon – 89 Points and Editor’s Choice from Wine Enthusiast