It's time for what's becoming an annual event: an in-depth exploration of Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon terroir, this time from the fine, elegant, and very pure 2014 harvest. Of course, as many of you tasted in past classes, “Napa” is more than one, homogenous, growing area. There are now 13 recognized AVA’s in Napa Valley and at least two or three more likely to receive approval over the next few years. More and more California winemakers are now seeking to deliver both classic “Napa” richness and a more clearly defined sense of “place” in their wines. With the arrival of a very fine set of 2014s, right now is a great opportunity to see how well they’re doing!
We’ll explore Napa Valley Cabernet from the cool Oak Knoll district in the South through the world famous Rutherford Bench before climbing the steep hills of Spring Mountain to the west and Howell Mountain to the East. In all, we’ll taste 8 wines, all from vintage 2014. The wine list is still evolving, but right now it looks like this:
- Zeitgeist Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley 2014 (Valley Blend; WA 94)
- Neyers Cabernet Sauvignon AME Nyers Ranch Conn Creek 2014 (Conn Valley)
- Philip Togni Cabernet Sauvignon Estate 2014 (Spring Mtn; Vinous 97)
- Round Pond Cabernet Sauvignon Estate 2014 (Rutherford; Vinous 92)
- Robert Craig Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain 2014 (WA 95)
- Paul Hobbs Cabernet Sauvignon Napa 2014 (mainly Coobsville; Vinous 91-93)
We'll add a few other treats based on 2014 releases coming in July and August to make 8 wines total.
While none of these wines is “cheap” (and several crest the $100 mark), all are exciting examples of their regions and contemporary Napa winegrowing and winemaking. You’ll enjoy light snacks as we discuss Napa Valley’s vinous history, recent vintages, and – of course – enjoy some fantastic Cabernet Sauvignon. This class is strictly limited to 30 attendees, so call, email, or stop by the store to reserve your seats today! Or reserve online at this link - but reserve quickly, because this class always sells out!