For students who have completed a course with the Court of Master Sommeliers or Advanced WSET.
Our hands-on SommDay School™ workshops are designed for students in the food, beverage, and hospitality industry who are just starting their Sommelier education journey, and ideal for those looking to further improve their service and tasting skills.
These day-long intensive workshops were developed by Master Sommelier Tim Gaiser and Napa Valley Wine Academy. The goal of each 6-hour session is aimed at helping waitstaff, bartenders, F&B managers, wine buyers, winery tasting room staff and anyone else working in the food and wine industry to hone their tasting and service skills, as well as better prepare those interested in pursuing sommelier certification exams such as Society of Wine Educators and the Wine & Spirit Education Trust examinations.
1-Day Professional Wine Tasting Workshop for Sommelier Students will cover the following topics:
- Introduction to Master Sommelier Deductive Tasting Method and correct terminology
- Palate calibration:
- Oak vs. no oak; earth vs. no earth; acidity-low vs. high, alcohol (same) & tannin (same); pyrazines vs. terpenes
- The major white varieties and their major markers and paradigms
- The major red varieties and their major markers and paradigms
- Major wine faults and how to ID them
- Tasting of 18 wines using the MS tasting grid.
Cost: $395 per person. Individual or group reservations accepted.
All course fees include:
- 6 hours of instruction per day
- SommDay School™ Study Guide
- Access to the Napa Valley Wine Academy Online Wine Academy
- Certificate of successful completion
- Napa Valley Wine Academy Swag
Students who attend the SommDay School™ Workshops and want to continue to study, taste, and practice their service techniques will have an advantage in preparing for the Court of Master Sommeliers’ Intro and Certified Sommelier exams. This workshop is also a great addition to anyone studying toward their Society of Wine Educators, and Wine & Spirit Education Trust examinations.