GET THE WORD OUT ABOUT WINE EVENTS AT YOUR RESTAURANT - By Ronn Wiegand
December 01, 2003 ~ Great news! There is an excellent free Internet site that can help you attract more customers to your wine dinners, tastings, classes, and special events. At www.LocalWineEvents.com you can list upcoming wine events in your restaurant, which are grouped by date and location on this site and can be accessed by anyone with an Internet connection. The site, of course, does not take any responsibility for guaranteeing you traffic. And, for the record, it doesn't permit promotions, sales, or special offers. Just events, pure and simple. And it has several key benefits that should send you racing to your computer:
1. It's free. (The site offers a section of classified ads; but there is no requirement to advertise.)
2. It's painless. The form to submit an event takes a couple of minutes to fill out. (For submission guidelines, go to: www.LocalWineEvents.com/submission guidelines.php)
3. It's fast. Once submitted, events are usually posted within hours, if not minutes.
4. Reach the right audience. Your event posting automatically triggers an email to people in your geographical area who have specifically asked to be notified of upcoming wine events. (But for this reason, it is also best not to post your event more than 2 months in advance, since that email is sent only once.)
5. Sell tickets to your events through LocalWineEvents, at no cost to you (a small fee is added to the ticket price, similar to what ticket agencies do).
6. It offers worldwide exposure to your events. While most of the events listed are based in North America, the site is accessed by tens of thousands of visitors, many from overseas
7. Your posting can be updated or changed easily. If you register (itself an easy process), you can change the information in your posting immediately, without having to have it screened before being reposted.
8. It's not exclusively for wine events, but also for any spirit, beer, or food related event, including cooking classes and cheese tastings.
LocalWineEvents.com is owned and operated by Eric Orange, a wine industry veteran who resides in Houston. Orange says that both traffic and event postings at the site have skyrocketed in the past year (it was founded in July, 2000). Now, every month, about 50,000 unique, wine-minded visitors access the site and approximately 2,000 new events are posted. Orange says that approximately 75% of all the postings are for wine events held in or by restaurants. Restaurant managers, wine directors, and beverage managers: are you listening?
RESTAURANT WINE® Issue #94 © Copyright 2003 by WIEGAND and BOBLITT, FLP. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced without written permission.
Wine Events Globally
April 01, 2003 ~ Wine lovers who want to find out what's happening vinously in their area can now log on to www.localwineevents.com, a website entirely devoted to wine events around the world. The site lists almost 17,000 events worldwide.
IT'S A DATE
March 01, 2003 ~ Eric Orange's www.localwineevents.com bills itself as the "largest wine and spirits calendar in the world," and indeed we'd be surprised if any other site comes close to the nearly 17,000 events listed since the site's inception three years ago. You can search for events by location or date, both in the U.S. and abroad (at press time, we even found one planned in the Czech Republic). The site's supported by ads, and is free for both users and those listing events.
March 01, 2003 ~ Localwineevents.com, an online go-to listing of wine tastings and gourmet-centric to-dos, has just announced that they''''ve added a new feature that will allow visitors to purchase event tickets online-including tickets to Wine Enthusiast''''s 2nd Annual Toast of the Town, scheduled for May 19, 2003 at New York''''s Lincoln Center.
March 01, 2003 ~ I have such difficulty imagining my life pre-internet, and now I have one more reason not to: www.localwineevents.com, my new one-stop resource for all things oenophilistic, including wine dinners, tastings and expos by geographic area.
TASTINGS AROUND TOWN - By Celeste Busk
February 08, 2003 ~ Those looking for more wine-related events might want to surf www.LocalWineEvents.com. The free service invited retailers, restaurants, vineyards and wholesalers to post information about their wine, beer, spirits and food-related events with links back to their own Web sites for more information. It will display a calendar of all events for your area. You also can sign up to receive free e-mail notices of events.
February 05, 2003 ~ Winemaker dinners, wine tastings, wine classes, wine festivals -- find them all on www.localwineevents.com The site lists hundreds of wine-related activities, organized by location, for cities all over the country and the world. Just click on the city you want, and you'll find a calendar with details about each event. You can even order tickets. The site provides many other services, including links to online wine merchants, wine vacations and newsletters.
February 01, 2003 ~ Not only can you be notified of all the events in your area relating to wine by doing no more than checking your e-mail, you'll be able to buy tickets to those events on LocalWineEvents.com's secure site."